Image Map

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Our Wedding: The Ceremony

I will fully admit to being that little girl that dreamt about her wedding from a very young age.  In my mind, it was all about the dress, flowers, and decor.

Then I met Nicholas and my ideas changed.  I was still obsessed with having a beautiful wedding with all the perfect details that go into that day, but I was now simply focused on the wedding as the first day of forever.  I couldn't stop thinking about my marriage.  Every day that we got closer to the wedding, the less those details mattered to me.  Our entire relationship had been long distance (I was always in St. Louis and he was always on the East Coast {first in South Carolina and then the last four years in Maryland}.)  I was ready to end the long distance and finally start my life with Nicholas.

After almost two years of planning, our wedding day had finally arrived.  Despite making my mother sleep with my the night before, I didn't sleep much.  I woke up early, unbelievably excited.  Not a single ounce of nerves in me.  Everyone assured me they'd set in later.

I showered and met my amazing bridesmaids at the salon where we all indulged in mimosas and a light breakfast while getting our hair and makeup done.




Afterwards, we all piled into the limo and headed to the Saint Cecilia Catholic Church in St. Louis, Missouri.  One of the amazing things about our beloved hometown is that has a large Catholic community and a lot of the older churches are just gorgeous.  I've wanted to get married at Saint Cecilia for many, many years and I was happy that this part of my wedding dream was not becoming a reality.

The back of the church


The ladies hid in a room in the church, with guys hidden away in another room.  Nicholas and I opted to do things very traditionally and we not only didn't see each other before the ceremony, but we didn't speak to one another until we met at the alter.
I am so in love with my wedding shoes.  Nothing says bride more than a giant pink bow!!!

Something Borrowed: Six Pence in a Shoe (not pictured)
Something Blue:  Nick's replica USNA ring he gave me, {which was later attached to my bouquet}
Something Old:  {Maternal} Great-Grandmother's handkerchief given to me by my Grandmother and my {Paternal} Late Grandmother's brooch {which was also later attached to my bouquet}
Something New:  My brother and sister bought my veil for me

Mike, the Best Man and Nick's cousin, delivering red roses, a card, and a gift to me from Nicholas
(even though we agreed no gifts because our puppies were going to be our gift to one another.)


Nick is known to all of his friends back home as "Obie" and they've called me "Mrs. Obie" for years now.  I found it only fitting that this be my hanger for our wedding day.
Giving Nick a little message, via our videographer, for him to view once we got our wedding dvd back.

My mother and sister helping me into my dress




Dad putting the six pence in my shoe
Nicholas measuring and getting his uniform ready
Shining his shoes
Leah, my sister and Maid of Honor, delivering a letter to Nicholas from me
Nick's sword
Nick wrapping his sword and tying the knot, with the help of Rob

Practicing their Arch of Swords one more time.

After everyone was dressed, pictures were taken, gifts exchanged, it was finally time to make our way to the back of the church for the ceremony.  Everyone kept asking me how I felt.  How did I feel?!  Cloud nine?  Is that an emotion?  I had absolutely zero nerves.  Nothing but incredibly euphoric feelings.

Apparently this emotion was felt by everyone.  I had so many people tell me that their favorite part of the ceremony was my walk down the aisle.  Everyone commented how my entire walk down the incredibly long aisle, I had the largest smile on my face, as did Nick, and our eyes were locked the entire time.  We never glanced at our family or friends.  From the moment those doors opened, our eyes were locked on each other, smiling.  I could tell that he was thinking the exact same things I was, and apparently this caused many, many tears throughout our gorgeous church.  Our priest even commented after the ceremony that he very rarely sees a bride and groom so much In Love and so focused on one another.  Through the entire ceremony, our eyes never left one another.
Nick's Uncle Scott and Aunt Debbie walking him down the aisle.

It was important to me that I had both of my parents walk me down the aisle.  I am incredibly close to both of them, and my mother is my absolute best friend, so we decided to forego tradition and do things our own way.
Nicholas watching me walk down the aisle





Everyone has their hands raised over us, praying for our new life together


Following the ceremony was one of my favorite parts of the day, The Arch of Words.  This is a Navy tradition welcoming the bride to the Navy.  At each set of swords, they lower and the couple is told that the rite of passage is a kiss.  Julius, Nick's roommate and best friend the past four years and now a brother to us, was part of the last set of swords.  After he declared that the rite of passage was a kiss, upon our exit, he swatted me on the butt with his sword, announcing "Welcome to the Navy, Mrs. Oberkrom!"







We loved this tradition as did our guests.  Being from a non-military town, 99% of our guests had never been to a military wedding.  To see our friends come marching out, calling out commands, and witness such a tradition brought many tears and laughs to our guests.  I learned that it wasn't only my favorite part of the day, but also a moment our guests will never forget either.

My entire family (on my mother's side).  This is the family you hear me talk about ALL.THE.TIME!

The most amazing grandparents ever.  If Nicholas and I can have a marriage only half as great as theirs, I would consider it a success.

My amazing family!

My Dad

My Mother

Nick's Family

our adorable ring bearer, Kaedon

our flower girl, Mia
(who told me I looked like a princess and it was the best compliment ever!)



All photos seen on this blog page are copyright of i Kandi Photography {unless otherwise noted below the photo}

To view more photos from our wedding, click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment