Image Map

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Grandpa's Quilt


When Grandpa was diagnosed with cancer and we learned he'd be undergoing treatment, my family decided to create a quilt for him.  It's something he could cuddle up with and have our support and love wrapped around him.

We each were to make a square, however we wanted, for Grandpa.  We even had extended family all over the country mail in squares.  The plan was to have the quilt squares mailed in to St. Louis so that the quilt could be completed by the time Leah and I came in town for our August trip.  The plan was to give the quilt to Grandpa on August 17th, at my father's 60th birthday party since the entire family would be together for it.

Unfortunately, Grandpa never saw his quilt.  On the 16th, Grandpa went to the emergency room and he was put under anesthesia to have a central line put in.  And he never woke back up.

We brought the quilt to the hospital in hopes that he would recover from the surgery and he could see it.  However, that never happened.
It was so upsetting that we made this quilt for him and we knew he'd absolutely love it and he wasn't able to see it.  We know he saw it the moment he left this world, but we wanted to see his smile (and I'm sure his tears.)   We wanted to see his reaction.  It was so upsetting.

We thought about draping it over him in the ICU, but we couldn't because his c-diff was contagious and that meant the blanket could possibly be carrying the c-diff.

We had the quilt displayed at the wake and contemplated putting it in his casket with him (thinking it might be too hard for any of us to see it) but Grandma then decided she wanted to keep it.  And we all agreed.  While it would be hard to see it laying around their house, it's such a tribute to his love and bond with each one of us.
Nick's quilt square (before being cut to size)

My quilt square (prior to being cut to size)
Grandpa played soccer and softball with me and he's the reason I was, and still am, so into sports.
When I was very little, Grandpa gave me his pillow he had in the Navy.  It's a small, down pillow and I was OBSESSED with it when I was little.  I didn't have a security blanket or a favorite stuffed animal.  My Grandpa pillow was carried with me and I couldn't sleep without it.  I still have this pillow and sleep with it (although I don't cry throughout sleepless nights whenever I'm without it.)


Please take a second to notice my brother's square in the top left photo.  Below is his actual square.
 It's my brother, painting my Grandfather and himself in the photo you see in the corner of that drawing.  My brother is an AMAZING artist and so it was only fitting that he not only draw his own square, but that his quilt square reflect his artistic abilities.  Thanks for showing us all up, Ben!!!
(My brother draws in pencil, scans his drawings on his computer, and then colors and tweaks them with Illustrator and PhotoShop.)















No comments:

Post a Comment