Image Map

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Summer Milestone ReCap

A lot of things happened this summer.  Huge things.  Most of them good.  A few small were bad.  And some were emotional, to say the least.

Overall, it's been a great summer.  Definitely going to be one of the most memorable!

So let's recap, shall we?  (Or not, nothing forcing you to stay here and read this)

1.  I quit my job.  A job, that although I complained about it a lot, I really did love.  I left my kids, some whom I adored, some who I....well, strongly disliked.  I left my co-workers....two of which were my co-teachers and I really loved those girls.

2.  I watched, with tear-filled eyes and ever so proudly, as my [then fiancé] graduated from the United States Naval Academy with a bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering AND commissioned as an officer in the United States Navy.

3.  I watched, as a bridesmaid, as one of my best friends got married AND as Nick participated in his first Sword Arch (it was also the first one I had seen in person).



4.  I GOT MARRIED TO MY BEST FRIEND!!!!  ....definitely the highlight and most exciting part of my summer.  Not only to finally start our life together, but to see alllllll of our hard work and planning finally come together. 


5.  I said sad goodbyes to Nick's Academy friends (the hardest being Julius, Dave, and Rob)....it was hard because they are Nick's best friends and have come to be like brothers to me.  It was hard because, with Navy life, and each having their respective hometowns to spend holidays in, we aren't sure when, or if we'd see them again.


6.  I traveled outside of the country for the first time.  To amazingly beautiful Jamaica.  I spent a wonderful seven days there with my HUSBAND just enjoying being catered to with all the food and drinks we wanted and all beautiful views we wanted.  I also climbed a waterfall and went to my first Margaritaville


7.  I visited Fast Eddie's for the first time.  It's a popular St. Louis bar with cheap yet HUGE servings of food.


8.  My brother turned 30....yet he doesn't look a day over 24 ;)


9.  I said goodbye to my friends, my cousin, my aunts, my uncles, my grandparents, my brothers, my sister, my dog, and my parents.  My parents were the hardest, especially my mother.  No offense to my father, I love him very much.  But there's a special bond between a mother and daughter.  Especially my mother and I.  Especially after all we went through.  She's my best friend.  

10.  I moved away from St. Louis, traveled across the country, and moved to Annapolis, Maryland.

11.  Nick and I moved into our first apartment together.  It didn't feel like home, seeing as it was only a 9-week temporary place, but it was nice to finally be living with Nick...in our place.

12.  We adopted our first child....our fur baby, Yadi.   We trained her, loved her, watched her grow.


13.  I met a new group of girls and had weekly Girls Nights. 


14.  For the first time ever, I missed the big family trip to the lake.  Actually, for the time since 1992 (or 1993) I did not go to the lake with my family.  My most loved place, my absolute favorite thing to do, I did not get to do.  (And boy was this hard to accept.)


15.  We developed a 'Weekly Oberkrom Family Tradition' of spending Friday nights with our dog walking around downtown Annapolis and getting ice cream.


16.  I went to Medieval Times!  (have wanted to go for a long time!)


17.  We had our first out of town guest, my best friend, Jessie.


18.  My "child" graduated from "school"


19.  Experienced my first earthquake AND hurricane.

20.  Experienced our first emergency vet visit


21.  We said goodbye to Nick's sponsors.  They are literally Nick's third family.  They've taken care of Nick and provided for him in a way parents do.  Nick wouldn't have had such an enjoyable time in Annapolis had it not been for them.  They offered him an escape from Academy life.  They offered him home cooked meals that he actually liked.  They went above and beyond what sponsors should be like.  He finally gained two "little brothers" with his sponsors....someone to go bowling with, play video games until the early morning hours, someone to look out for, someone to offer advice for.  Nick said his goodbyes and sent one of them off to the Citadel and I know he was so proud of him.


22.  We moved from Maryland to Florida.  Had our first experience driving a 26 foot moving truck, pulling our car on a tow dolly.


23.  We moved into our first "home."  We have a house....a three bedroom, office, two bath, fenced in yard HOUSE.  

24.  I learned to cook.  Granted, we consume a lot of chicken in this house, but I'm always finding new recipes to try so at least they all taste differently.


25.  I have a new group of girls to have Girls Nights with.

26.  I live, for the first time, in a very country, southern town.



27.  I live, for the first time, on the ocean!


28.  I live in a place that experiences fall much later.  While "summer" is technically over, we're still having mid-80 degree weather and it's still so hot and humid here.  (which I am 100% okay with).

29.  We reunited with Julius.  

30.  I became a Florida resident....equipped with my Florida driver's license, became a Florida resident, and registered to vote!


I'm pretty sure that's a fairly accurate recap of my summer. 

Thankfully, because we're in the Sunshine State, I have a few more weeks of "summer" left.  I hope to spend a good majority of my weekends at the beach trying to get my tan on. Ya know, just in time for it to fade =/

I hope most of you are able to look at your summer with the same smile on your face as I have. Yes, moving away was hard and I miss my family more than I can bear sometimes.  But I'm finally with my best friend.  We have our own little family.  We're "traveling" (and doing it for free, essentially.)  We're living that blissful married life.  And I am happy.  Truly happy.

Happy Fall Everyone.  Friends and family back home, stay warm and dry ;)
And remember, we still have a few more weeks of beach weather...it's not too late to jump on a plane!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment