Image Map

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Flight School Update

There's really not much to update you on.

Nick finished IFS on November 20th.  And since then he's been doing nothing.

Well, not NOTHING.
Every morning he has to go muster (essentially check-in).
He walks in, signs his name on a piece of paper, turns around and comes home.
He's home every morning by about 7:40am. 
SOME days he will have to stay for urinalysis and other days he has to stay for briefs or various things but they aren't even once a week occurrences. 

Yes ladies and gentlemen, your tax dollars hard at work.

It's not his fault though.  Primary at NAS Whiting Field is so ridiculously backed up. 
So right now, Nick is in what they call A-Pool which just means he's waiting to class up for API.
There are spots available in API but the issue is Primary.
If Nick starts API, he'll be finished in 6 weeks and again, have to sit around and wait to class up for Primary.

My question was, "Okay, so go through API and get that out of the way.  Why don't they want to do that??  Do as much as they can while they can?"
Rumor has it they don't want to do this because the moment they graduate from API, they start getting "flight pay" (additional money each month).  So, this way, the are saving money by not paying them.
Makes sense.  Although, it sucks for us!  We'd LOVE that extra money each month.

So what does Nick do all day? (I get asked this a lot).
He plays Call of Duty.  Yep.  He's getting paid to play video games all day lol.
I will admit it's nice for me. I have not slept in in YEARS!  But now, Nick gets up and leaves for work.  The dogs have FINALLY learned to sleep in past 6am so when he leaves, we get up, they go potty and we head back into the bedroom.  They curl up and go back to sleep as do I. 
When Nick gets home, he changes out of his uniform and he takes the dogs into the living room with him, enjoys his video game time, and I get to sleep in.  It's amazing!!!  I forgot how great sleeping in feels!

When I get up, I'll job search, apply for what little jobs I find, play on the internet, read a book, go grocery shopping, prepare dinner, take the dogs to the park, play with them in the yard, clean the house, organize something, watch a movie, plan out the week's menu, etc.  Some days are much lazier than others.  But it's hard to have the motivation to do anything when your husband is right next to you on the couch. (Nick doesn't play video games ALL day.  When I wake up he turns them off (most days) and helps me do something around the house or we go somewhere with the dogs, watch a move, etc).

We feel really lazy sometimes but at the same time, I'm trying to take advantage of this time.  While I LOATHE not having a job, it is nice to have all this time with Nick.  Soon he'll be swamped with school, and I'll have a job or be in my nursing program.  From then on, he'll be in training and schooling and before I know it, deployments will start.  (I feel as I get older, times goes by more quickly...and I do not like it.)  So while we are bums a lot of the time, it's these times I will need to look back on during his long work days and/or deployments and think "Remember all those weeks of quality time you got?  Remember how much "nothing" you got to do together?  You got him 22 hours of the day all to yourself.  Just dwell on those memories.  A lot of military couples aren't that lucky."

So here's to making each of these days together really count.  Embracing every second of time we get...and making it quality time.  Because there will be days I KNOW I wish I hadn't taken these days for granted or had done more to make these days really count.  (Now it's getting Nick to see this.  I don't know if it's because he's a guy, or being the one in the military he doesn't get it...either way, I need to beat this concept into his head.)

So, that's our update.  We're just sitting and waiting for him to class up for API.
And I'm working hard at trying to find a job.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment