Image Map

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

St. Nick's Day 2011

Nick and I have discussed what traditions we grew up with and what ones we would like to continue within our family (which were all of them lol).

One of my favorite traditions is celebrating St. Nick's Day.  This is not something Nick celebrated but he was totally on board with starting it in our family just amongst each other and eventually for when we have children. 

For as long as I can remember, on the eve of December 6th, St. Nick visits the house.  He always fills our stockings with candy, and fruit (when we were younger).  He also leaves an ornament (when we were younger he also left a small toy but apparently we're too old for that now). 
Each year the ornament had a special meaning.  It would relate to us personally.  It could be something we loved, a hobby we enjoyed, a character we like, a milestone in our life, etc.  For example, some of mine consisted of:
- Baby's First Christmas
- a cute little scrapbooking marshmallow (yes, I'm a scrapbook nerd)
- Belle from Beauty and the Beast (my favorite Disney princess)
- a few different Cardinals ornaments
- a few different Mizzou ornaments
- Sylvester (from Looney Toons...my fav one) playing soccer (my favorite sport and the sport I played my entire life.)
- a wine glass
- a Navy ornament

So you get the idea.  I am not taking these ornaments to Florida with me because those are my childhood memories and should stay put on that tree.  (Please see next entry).

Nick and I want to build our ornament collection and start our own sentimental tree.  We have a few ornaments already but with each passing year, we'll add two new ones as St. Nick will visit us each year.

My mother was always "St. Nick" and she got an ornament for each of us kids.
Seeing as we don't have kids, Nick and I are going to play St. Nick to each other.  (Once we have kids, I will assume the St. Nick role as my mother did.  I'm still undecided if Nick and I will stop getting each other ornaments at that point.)

Prior to St. Nick's Day, Nicholas and I each separately went out and bought each other candy and an ornament.  It was kind of a difficult task because I'm used to visiting Kimmswick back home where they have any and every ornament you could think of.  I was pretty much limited to the mall here.  Plus we had a budget so I didn't want to order any online.
But I ended up finding the perfect one!
If you know Nick, then you KNOW he's obsessed with Weimaraners, especially our little monster, Yadi.  He had been looking online and in ANY store we went in to see if they had a Weim ornament.  No one did.  (It's not a very common breed.) 
But while I was at the mall, I found one!!!!!  I was so excited I almost didn't want to wait until the morning of the 6th for him to look in his stocking!

The morning of December 6th, I woke up and Nick was already at work.  I noticed he had stuffed my stocking so I took this opportunity to stuff his (I wanted to stuff it in the middle of the night but he went to bed MUCH later than me and I never woke up that night).  When he arrived home from work around 8am (rough life ;) which I'll get into in another post), we took down our stockings and emptied them out.
Nick's is far left and mine is the far right

I wish I would have had the camera but sadly I didn't think to take any pictures of this event (major =( sad face).  But he absolutely LOVED his ornament!!!!  (and his candy).  Here is a picture of it hung on our tree:

Then I opened mine.  I loved it!  My husband knows me too well.  He got me Belle from Beauty and the Beast (along with my fav candy).  I was secretly hoping he would get her! I saw it while I was at the mall and was sad I had one on our family tree back home and desperately wanted a Belle on our tree.  And now I have one!  Again, no read great pictures but here is a picture of it on the tree:

I love that we are starting this tradition and can't wait to see the different ornaments we collect over the years.  I need to start ornament shopping early next year, just in case the mall and stores around me don't have anything I like, I will have time to order something or have my family find one for me in Kimmswick.  (Hopefully every year we go home for Thanksgiving I can get one from the many, MANY Christmas shops around St. Louis.)

So there you have it....Our First Married Tradition =)  Our First St. Nick's Day together.  It was a huge success!!!!  I love this day.  It's just something small and simple but it brings me so much joy!

Happy St. Nick's Day everyone!!!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment