Image Map

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Why Platform Selection is a HUGE Deal


Tomorrow is Platform Selection for Nick.  Because I am asked this a lot, "platform" simply refers to the type of aircraft he will be flying.  The choices are:
Rotary (That is helicopters and Advanced Training is actually here at NAS Whiting Field where we are currently stationed.)
Maritime (That is what they call a P-3 or P-8 or the UAV the Triton and training for that is in Corpus Christi, Texas.)
Tailhook (That is the various jets, C-2, or E-2.  The training for these platforms are either in Meridian, Mississippi or in Kingsville, Texas).

To those in the aviation community, they understand how big of a deal tomorrow is.  To civilians or even military families in other communities, they might not understand.  So I shall attempt to explain.

The type of aircraft you fly completely dictates many things.  For Nick, it determines obviously the type of aircraft he flies as well as the various missions he will complete.  (Each aircraft, even different models of each aircraft, are made to do certain missions such as patrol of submarines, minesweeping, etc.)  There are some platforms that Nick does not want simply because of the type of missions they're made for.  It would be awful to be stuck with a job that you hate what you're doing, right?  (And unlike civilians, Nick couldn't just quit because he's unhappy because has a contract with the Navy.  And "switching jobs", while an option, is not at all easy to do.)

For us as a couple (and eventually a family), platforms dictate a lot about our life, such as our lifestyle in forms of how much Nick is home and communication while he's away, and locations of where we could be stationed.
To explain a little more about lifestyles, various platforms have more challenging lifestyles (for lack of better words) whereas others are a little easier (as easy as a military life can be).  Some platforms endure longer and more frequent deployments than others.
Some platforms, unfortunately because of their mission and locations, greatly restrict communication...limited emails, little to no video chatting or phone calls.  Whereas some platforms have the ability to communicate with their families on almost a daily basis.

Another big factor is duty stations.  Just because we are Navy does not mean we can be stationed at any Navy base.  The base must have squadrons of whatever platform Nick flies.  For instance, if Nick were to fly the MH-53 (a helicopter), they only have two squadrons and both are stationed in Norfolk, Virginia.  Nowhere else.
To some, it might not seem like a huge deal, but to us, that is.  Call us crazy, but we do have preferences for where we'd like to live and where we would not want to live.  (Although, we'd adjust and find the positives anywhere we go.  It's what we did here in the redneck sticks of Milton.  Negativity and pessimism just aren't us, nor is it a way of life we're willing to lead.)

For me, I prefer a lifestyle where Nick will be able to communicate with me.  Not asking for everyday because we're in the military and I'd never be naive enough to think we'd get that (but I'd welcome it if it were possible.)  But enough communication to know he's alive, safe, and doing well on a semi-regular basis.  Enough to give him updates on my (and future children's) lives.
I prefer a platform that will make Nick come home each day with the smile he has now.  Not just from loving the job he's performing and the aircraft he's flying, but also because he loves the people within his squadron.

I don't really know how to convey tomorrow's importance.  As I re-read this, I feel like I'm not conveying just how big of a deal this is.  I feel saying these things doesn't really give you a clear picture of why this is a huge deal.  But I don't really know what else to say.  So I'll just move on.


The two questions I keep getting asked:
What did Nick put as his preferences?
What is my first choice?

When Nick began his aviation training in September 2011, he was between Helos and Maritime, but leaning towards Helos.  (He had an aviation training his last summer at the Academy with an MH-53 helo squadron and absolutely LOVED it!!!!)  Jets were not even on his radar (he did/does not want the missions nor the lifestyle of jets.)
Then suddenly the last three months, he brought up going jets.  I was taken aback.  He had never talked about jets and now he suddenly couldn't decide if he wanted helos or jets more.  Maritime had suddenly taken the last spot because he learned of the UAV, the Triton, and he does not want the risk of "flying" this at all.  Simply because Nick wants to be in a cockpit and flying.  So as to not risk getting stuck with the Triton, he decided that will be his very last preference.
For the last few months, he has really struggled with what he wanted to put as his number one preference.  The month of December was really, really stressful for him.  As I said, it's a big deal.  How do you decide something so major, without ever actually engaging in it?!  There are obviously a lot of unknowns with each, such as what TYPE of jet or helo would he fly?  Each different model has it's own missions.  So let's say he wanted the MH-53 and chose helos for that reason.  There is a chance (a good chance since that community is so small) he won't get the 53 and he'd get the one of the 60 models of helos.
He continually weighed the pros and cons but each time, he was left more confused and stressed out.
He would also ask me for my opinion.  I was always hesitant to give it to him.  While I know this is my life too, and I had a very strong opinion, I didn't want him to base his decision off of me.  He does know my preference but I made it clear to him that I want him to do what HE wants.  I'm very aware that if he goes to work and doesn't enjoy it, then that unhappiness will spill over into our marriage and home life.  I can and will handle whatever platform we get.  While I hate change, I am able to adapt and find the positives.  I'm a very strong and very independent individual.  And luckily I can be a nurse anywhere we move.  What matters most to me is that Nick chooses what will make him the happiest.

In the end, Nick FINALLY decided on his preferences.  Yesterday after his last flight, he filled out all his paperwork and put his preferences as follows:
1.  Rotary
2.  T1 (Tailhook in Meridian, MS-{that's what the '1' refers to})
3.  T2 (Tailhook in Kingsville, TX)
4.  Maritime.

I can say I am happy with this.  Very happy.  Helos are most definitely my first preference for a lot of reasons {that I will not get into...at least not now}.  I just really, really hope he gets it!!!
I guess the good thing for Nick is if he doesn't get his first choice, while he'll be disappointed, it will only be a little disappointment.  He won't be devastated with jets since up until a week ago, he was thinking that would be his number one.  (I guess that's a positive of being indecisive?  Because he sure is the King of Indecisiveness.)


I'm just a ball of nerves and it's been so hard for me to eat today.  I just need to get to tomorrow at 3pm.  I went to a friend's selection a few months ago (same squadron as Nick) and I was a wreck.  And it wasn't even my husband!!!  I was shaking so badly and my palms were sweating!!!  I do not even want to think about what I'm going to be like when I'm upstairs in the VT-3 bar as Nick is waiting to take his shots and find out what he gets.  (Yes, I said taking shots.  VT-3 has the coolest tradition when it comes to selection!  Don't worry, that blog post will come tomorrow or Friday.)


There's really no other way for me to explain this.  Hopefully I was able to make you see, even if it was just in the slightest way, why tomorrow is so important and huge for us!   In short, it really determines what our life in the Navy is going to look like!!!!  Ahhhhhhh
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Thinking about you Melanie! I know you will do great with whatever Nick gets. Bloom where you are planted doesn't seem to be an issue for you. Hang in there and know that I will be waiting to hear how selection goes!!!
    Heather Escamilla

    ReplyDelete