Image Map

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Memorial Service

Friday morning Nick and I attended the memorial service at the NAS Meridian Chapel for Patrick Drury and Kyle McArthur, both classmates of Nick's from the Naval Academy.
{The two guys were jet pilots stationed at NAS Meridian and were killed in a car accident early on Father's Day, Sunday June 16, 2013.}

The Chapel was packed with friends and family who came to honor these two men, celebrate their lives, and pay their respects.
Up front in the chapel stood their USNA class photos along with their helmets.  I didn't know these two men but it was difficult for even me to look at it.  Just so heartbreaking.

It was an emotional morning.  It was the first time I have ever seen Nick cry, which was actually really hard for me.  I felt awful because I didn't know what to do but at the same time, there's nothing I could do.  Nothing I or anyone did would erase the sadness of losing a friend or classmate.  He would reach over and grab my leg, pretty hard.  I'd look over and see tears welling up in his eyes.  I'd then grab his hand and he'd hold it so hard that I thought it was going to break. It just broke my heart to see him and so many other men crying and hurting over the loss of Pat and Kyle.

The service was beautiful, funny, and sad.  A whirlwind of emotions for sure.

Pat and Kyle had so many friends.  Both of their three roommates spoke about them and a few other friends, Julius included, also told stories, most of which had everyone laughing.
Listening to these stories, it made me sad that I didn't know them.  They seemed like amazing guys and I felt like I was missing out.  I'm sure others in attendance who never had that pleasure felt the same way I did. They were the type who lived their lives for others, never taking a moment for granted, and simply enjoying life.  Even without the stories, it was obvious how amazing they were by the attendance of the service; by the number of people who drove or flew in to attend the service.
Pat and Kyle's families also spoke which only reiterated how amazing they were; how loved they were by their family.  It's just so sad to know they were taken from everyone who loved them so deeply.

Towards the end of the ceremony, both Pat and Kyle were designated as Naval Aviators and their parents were presented with their wings of gold.  It was such a touching moment.  After the wings were presented, a man spoke (there were a few, and I don't remember if it was their CO or perhaps the Commodore) and he said that Pat and Kyle are now flying up in the sky with their wings of gold.  So when their classmates are up there flying in their aircrafts, Pat and Kyle will be amongst them, soaring through the sky, watching over them and protecting them.  There was not a dry eye in the chapel at this moment.  I truly believe this and it's a comforting thought to know Nick and the other aviators have aviator angels watching over them.


Later in the evening, after the winging ceremony had occurred that afternoon, Pat and Kyle were also honored at the winging party.  Their photos, helmets, flowers, and their drink of choice were displayed on a table.  Throughout the night, their friends and family visited the table, toasting and clinking glasses with Pat and Kyle.  It was such a bittersweet and overwhelming sight.  But from what everyone says, these two loved to party and have a good time.  They would have wanted the newest wingees to party hard and celebrate their big accomplishment.  And they did, all while celebrating with Pat and Kyle in their hearts.



Please keep Pat and Kyle's family and friends in your thoughts and prayers as they accept, grieve, and find peace in the passing of their loved ones.  They were amazing men and they surely will not be forgotten.

Rest in Peace Patrick and Kyle.  May Angels lead you in.

No comments:

Post a Comment