Image Map

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Significance Behind the 5 o'clock Manhattan



Everyone has a signature 'something'.  Maybe it's a laugh, or a personality trait.  Maybe it's a tv show or a dessert.  Grandpa's was his 5 o'clock Mahattan.  Every evening, he'd make his Mahattan, usually using Early Times Kentucky Whiskey and Martini Sweet Vermouth, and set it in the fridge to chill.  Then right at 5pm, he'd take it out and sip on it for the next hour or more.
Every.Single.Night
Even when Grandma was in the hospital for her bypass, his Mahattan makings were in a cooler in the car.


But Grandpa wasn't the only one who loved Manhattan's.  His siblings, two of whom have passed before him, also loved Manhattans.

One year ago yesterday, Grandpa left us to be with Jesus.  You can read about what happened in more detail if you look back to last August, but essentially, Grandpa's cancer weakened his immune system, he got c-diff, and in a matter of two days, passed away.

When he passed away, we were all surrounding his bedside.  His wife, his two daughters and two sons, their husbands and wives, myself, my brother, my sister, and my four cousins.  All 16 of us, around him, holding hands, praying, laughing and sharing memories of Grandpa.  At 4:58pm, Grandpa took his last breath and left this world.  He left with just enough time to pass through the pearly gates, where I'm sure he was greeted by his siblings, handing him a chilled Manhattan just in time for 5 o'clock.

The Manhattan has since become the signature drink of our family.  Following Grandpa's funeral, we all gathered at my uncle's house where we mixed up a pitcher of Manhattans and about 25 of us all toasted to Grandpa and went around the room saying something, whether it be something we'll miss, a great memory, or just kind words about Grandpa.

We found ourselves sipping on them at Thanksgiving, Christmas, Father's Day, and again on April 15th, his birthday.


And last night, at 5pm, Nick and I toasted to Grandpa.

At 5 o'clock, one year ago, Grandpa became our guardian angel.  And our lives have never been the same since.


We love you, Grandpa.  And we're slowly learning to love these (awful) drinks.




(My mother and her sister visited Grandpa yesterday evening and had a Manhattan with him.  I'm sure it just made his day.)





5 comments:

  1. What a great way to celebrate him by enjoying his signature drink. I am with you those, Manhattan's will never be my drink of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always heard of older men doing that drink at a certain time and I'm sure he was smiling and enjoying one himself with you guys yesterday. I'm also in agreement that they will never be my drink of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you guys do this to celebrate and remember your grandpa. It's amazing. Even if they don't taste so good... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. So cool. It's awesome when people leave behind such wonderful memories that you carry them on FOR them even when they're gone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah - you had me tearing up. I love that you guys have something that will always remind you of him. I'm sure he was celebrating away with you all!

    ReplyDelete