Image Map

Monday, May 4, 2015

Derby Party




This past week we attended a Derby Party Change of Command Celebration (more party, less formal than this event we attended) for Nick's squadron.


They reserved a room at Mellow Mushroom (one of my fav pizza places and right up this pizza-craving pregnant girl's ally!), and had it catered with delicious food, mint juleps, wine, and beer.  Sadly I had to forego the drinks but I sure as hell took advantage of the food!!!



It was a laid back atmosphere where we all just hung out for a few hours and then eventually watched the race.  I've never cared for the derby and still don't, but it's always fun to go out (and early!  the event was 5pm-8pm) and get to dress for a theme.


I really only fit into a few dresses so I opted for the one of the three maxis I had (to hide my swollen feet) which was blue.  I picked up a white hat from Walmart.  Then I wandered around Joann's Fabrics to find blue flowers to put on the hat to match my dress.  I found ONE.  One blue flower.  I needed something else.  I couldn't decide what color to pair with it and then I decided to represent the Swamp and go with orange feathers.  (Nick's squadron, the Swamp Fox's colors are blue and orange.)


The guys are giant dorks and had patches made (not specifically for this, but just for all their various functions in general...and because pilots love their patches) and decided to all put them on blue blazers.  So Nick paired his with a bow tie (a REAL bow tie because he turns up his nose at fake and pre-tied ones lol).  And khaki shorts.  Yes, shorts.  It's Florida.  More than half the guys were in this same get up.
(and of course, by the end of the night, the bow ties were undone.)








I feel really fortunate to be a part of this squadron.  Everyone always me told the aviation community was the best and while I have nothing to compare it to and say it is "the best", but I am truly loving it.  There are always fun functions going on, the wives club is active and they're all awesome women (no catty shit), and we all have such a great time together.  Sometimes I wish there was a little less going on, because I feel like we always have plans (or that Nick is always gone with the guys) but I'm happy it's a very fun and involved squadron.  I'm happy they are so close and very family-focuses.  It eases my mind about the upcoming workups and deployment knowing we're part of a great squadron and I have a great group of woman to lean on if I need it.






9 comments:

  1. What a cute oufit, and great reason to celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I can't wait to get into the pilot community - it is SOOO boring at the base we're currently at for Dan's grad school. Blah. When he was on the flying team at the Academy, they had custom patches for that but also made fun ones for outings and stuff, so that was always fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually from Louisville KY so of course I love the Derby!!! Although this was my first one away since I moved to California a year ago. But we found a way to celebrate here and of course dressed up with hats and all! Check it out @ southinthecity14.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You both look so adorable! Love the hat and how it matches the centerpieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to the Derby and I live in Kentucky. I didn't even watch the race this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We didn't attend a Derby Party, but I have always wanted to go to one! One of my bridal showers was derby themed and it was so much fun! You two look so stinking adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like SO much fun! I've never been to a derby party but someday it'll happen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found your blog through another milso blog and love this post, will check out your other posts!! You two look so good together and the derby party looked like a good laugh! :D

    Feeling left out that I don't get to participate in my man's events (he's stationed in Japan and I'm in Sing), I'll have to keep waiting!

    www.jewelswandering.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my goodness... you guys look adorable :) And I love a good themed party!

    ReplyDelete