Image Map

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

World Breastfeeding Week

Happy World Breastfeeding Week!!!

I will admit that breastfeeding hasn't always been my favorite thing as there are times it's downright difficult. But then I look at this sweet face, with his chubby cheeks and know I did this.

He came into the world a little early and underweight. I had no idea what I was doing since we missed our breastfeeding class because it was the night Jaxon made his early debut. When we left the hospital, he was well below the first percentile for weight & the NICU doctor (unintentionally) put a lot of pressure on me to nurse him nonstop so he would gain weight. (Weight checks at the pediatrician every day of our first week at home didn't help either). At his one month appointment, he was just below the first percentile, and at our two month appointment, mama's Milk Monster was in the 15th percentile for weight and our pediatrician said, "Whatever you're doing, keep doing it because he's doing great!"


I love knowing that I'm giving him the nourishment he needs. I love the way he looks at me while I'm nursing him. I love the way his lips turn upward and he smiles back at me while he's nursing. Or even the way he pulls off me, just briefly, to give me a wide mouth grinned, before going back to finish his meal.  I love the way he stops wailing the moment he hears the click of my nursing bra unhooking. I love how he ever so sweetly falls asleep while I'm nursing him.   I love the way he lays his little hand my chest while I'm nursing him.

I love the bond nursing has given Jaxon and I.  I feel fortunate that my body has allowed me to nourish my baby so well, I am proud of my decision to do so, and I love my chubby little Milk Monster.


All of that being said, I recognize that not all mothers are able to provide for their baby as I have been and for that I consider myself lucky. I also have no judgement towards those that choose to not breastfeed. As long as you and your baby are happy and healthy, I support you all!!!



And this is what we call "milk drunk"

5 comments:

  1. You go mama! Breastfeeding is a truly special way to bond with your kiddo. I never thought Grace would still be nursing... but she is.. and I'm okay with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh milk drunk...almost the best drunk haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you support both sides! So many people are SO judgmental about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to experience all of this!

    ReplyDelete