Image Map

Thursday, January 15, 2015

My 30th Birthday Vacation!!!

But wait!  Didn't you turn 30 in November?
Yes, yes I did.  But life was super busy and I slacked at blogging there towards the end of 2014 so I'm just now getting around to blogging about it.

On November 21st, I turned 30 years old.  Looking back, when I was much younger, I thought 30 was so old.  Thankfully, as I turned 30, I didn't feel old.  While I'm not happy that the years seem to go by much faster now, I don't want to be that person that dwells on how old they are.  Because really, 30 isn't that old.  I plan to live to at least 80, so technically, I haven't even made it halfway through life.

I also find it hard to be really upset for turning another year older after all I've been through.  There was a year of my life where I wondered if I'd see my next birthday.  Or how many more I would have.  Cancer does that to you, especially when doctors don't even think you'll beat it.  Cancer makes you appreciate every birthday you have.  You recognize that it's a privilege denied to many.  Throughout the past 9 years of my cancer journey, I've become friends (albeit mostly internet friends) with many cancer survivors.  Sadly, a few of those were not as fortunate as me and they're now celebrating their birthday each year in heaven.  It's hard to stomach, and sometimes I have survivor's guilt, but it helps me to be thankful for birthday.

Which is also why I feel birthdays are a big freaking deal!!!  They should be celebrated!!!!  I'm not saying they need to be some giant Pinterest worthy shindig.  It doesn't need to consist of a table full of gifts, grand gestures, or a room packed full of people.  But I do firmly believe something, big or small, should be done to make the birthday special; to set it apart from every other day of the year.

I will admit, as the days grew closer to my birthday, I was getting bummed out.  I had always pictured my 30th birthday to be a giant celebration.  And by giant, I mean a party surrounded by my large, loud, loving family and all my closest friends.  Nothing more than that.  Just sitting around, drinking some adult drinkies, playing some games, laughing and having a great time.  But I knew that wouldn't happen.  First of all, I wouldn't be anywhere near my family.  When I had this dream of a big 30 celebration, I didn't know my life would lead me to where it is.  I'm living in Florida with my family and best friends in St. Louis.  Second of all, I wouldn't be getting silly over wine because I'm with child (although not one bit sorry about it!)

There really wasn't any way for Nick to make my birthday wish come true, so he was already starting out at a disadvantage.  But leave it to Nick to think of the perfect birthday surprise.  A CRUISE!!!!!!!!!!!
We are heading to the Bahamas next week, folks!!!!!!!!  When he told me, I was ecstatic.  I've never been on a cruise but have always wanted to go.  Taking this trip is the absolute perfect 30th birthday experience.
Unfortunately, the cruise had to wait for a while.  It was a tease to know back in November that my birthday gift was a cruise, but to wait for it.  January was the only time that we were able to find a cruise that worked with both of our schedules.  We're lucky enough to live just 15 minutes from the Jax port so booking via the last minute cruise websites was simple.  It was a little more difficult to find a long weekend cruise that worked for both of us but we did it!  And I cannot wait!!!!  Take me away from this dreary, chilly weather!  Put me in a bikini (yes, I'm pregnant and will be wearing a bikini.  Bite me.)

I'm finalizing my paperwork with my doctor and cruise line.
I've already made my packing list.
I'm reading all about the cruise ship, the various restaurants, entertainment, and ports.
I've received (and exchanged and received again) all new swimming suits since none of my old ones cover even half my boobs anymore.

I.am.ready!!!!
Bring on 5 whole days without contact with the outside world!
Bring on 5 whole days of warmth and sunshine!
Bring on 5 whole days of quality time with my husband!
Bring on 5 whole days of amazing food, whenever I want!
BRING.IT.ON.

The next week of work is going to be difficult, but I've got a countdown and I'm ready to go!!!  Here's to hoping I can be productive until then!







8 comments:

  1. My dream is to go to Hawaii for my 30th birthday! I'm hoping to go to Europe for my 25th birthday (actually, whenever I'm debt free, but I'll say it's for my 25th.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing! Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay!!! that is SUCH a good birthday surprise, even though you couldn't be with your family! have such a fun time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I want to go on a cruise, but we haven't yet. What a way to bring in 30!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a blast!!! I've been on three cruises and loved them all so much! It's definitely the ideal way to vaca!!! Have a great time, and happy late birthday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an awesome present! Hope you have a blast! I would not be able to focus waiting for the cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You deserve this, babe! I'm so excited for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to go on a cruise so bad so you will have to post tons of pictures so I can live through you! :)

    Love Always,
    Elizabeth
    thejourneycreatingme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete