Image Map

Sunday, April 8, 2012

First Married Easter

Today was our first Easter as a married couple.

I honestly wasn't really expecting much from it.  Nick didn't really celebrate Easter growing up.
My family went all out.  Up until last year, at the age of 26, we dyed eggs.  My brother always came home to celebrate.  We went to sleep with an empty hallway shelf and woke up to a shelf full of 5 baskets filled with Easter candy. 
Every Easter afternoon, after church, we'd head to my Grandparents house.  There, we indulge in delicious amaretto slushes, mimosas, champagne, wine and a huge array of brunch food.  After brunch, we go on the egg hunt.  Each cousin (there are 7 of us on my mother's side, ranging in age from 19-31) have a specific number of eggs hidden with our names on them.  Some contain candy and some contain money.  But Grandma makes sure we each get the exact same things...no favoritism ;)
Then it's time to hunt for our Easter baskets which are always hidden somewhere around the house!

I knew I was going to be sad to miss these traditions.  We would not be going home for this weekend.
I didn't mention too much how bummed I was because I know it makes Nick feel badly.

I was sad we wouldn't be engaging in any Easter fun.  I know when we have kids, we can carry on these traditions.
I thought about dying eggs with Nick, but neither of us eat hard boiled eggs.  I did not want to waste them.  Back at home, those hard boiled eggs would be eaten by my family so it was never a waste.  So we opted to forego the egg dying =(

On Sunday morning, I woke up and walked out of the bedroom to see this waiting for me on the kitchen table!
Nicholas got me an Easter basket!!!!!!  I was truly shocked.  I didn't think, one, he'd remember that today was Easter or two, that he'd known how much I wanted a basket or was upset to not have these traditions this year since I didn't really voice it. What a keeper!

He also remembered that caramel Cadburry eggs are my absolute favorite ever!!!!

And the cute little card he got me =)
[Please know we do not use these pet names.  We do not call
each other "honey" and we absolutely do NOT call each other
"snuggle bunny" lol.  Just wanted to clear that up.]
 

I did feel guilty I didn't get him a basket but he assured me he didn't need one and would just share my candy.  (Which proved to be very true).

Later that morning, I got to Skype with my family!!!!!!!

Holidays away from home are so incredibly hard for me.  I'm sure some don't understand but they aren't a part of my family and clearly do not understand how close we all are.
While being away from home is hard, I'm so thankful for such a loving husband as well as technology.  These two things make life a lot easier and dry a lot a tears.
I'm so glad I got to be "with" my family today.  And I'm happy I still got a basket =)

Happy Easter Everyone!!!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment