Image Map

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Crafting with Grandma

As wee tots, my brother (Ben), my sister (Leah) and I would spend a lot of time with Grandma and Grandpa.   I have so many amazing memories of my childhood with them.  But one of my favorites was our time with Grandma.

Grandma could do and make everything.  She loved crafts.  And she passed this love down to us.  I remember going through Grandma's felt box and "sewing" things together.  I remember buying ornament kits and creating ornaments with her.  But most of all, I remember the crafts Grandma made for us.  One of mine and my siblings absolute favorite items Grandma has made were our stockings.  (Grandma is also one of the main reasons we all LOVE Christmas so much.)

As children, we all had Santa stockings with our names on them.  Mom had a doll stocking and Dad had the soldier stocking.  Grandma made them for us (and her other kids' and their families).  As the years went on, the stockings aged and began showing some wear and tear.  Mom decided to recycle our stockings as decorations and replace them with store-bought stockings.

Our Grandma-made stockings, that hold so much meaning to us all, now get hung on our bedroom doors at our parents house.
(as you can see, he's missing some sequins and things here and there)



Last Thanksgiving (2011) as our family was decorating the tree and Mom was getting out all her holiday decorations, my mother asked Ben and I if we wanted to take our stockings with us to our houses since we do not live at home and won't be returning to live there (although Ben has been gone for years.)  To which we were very offended and very quickly yelled "NO!"  You see, my family is full of very, very sentimental people.  We do not like change especially when it comes to family and traditions.  Ben and I both said those stockings are to never, ever leave our parents house.  They must always remain there, otherwise, it just wouldn't feel like Christmas.

A month later over Christmas, we were telling Grandma about this conversation with Mom.  Grandma then informed us she still had the patterns from the stocking kits and could make us new ones.  We decided on one better and decided we'd make them WITH Grandma.

During my trip home, we had Christmas in August!!!!  Grandma had gathered all the supplies we'd need (except the few things she was unable to find, I'm assuming because they're more "Christmasy" items) and we set out to make our own stockings!  It was so fun and just like old times.  I think Ben and I lack the same domestic skills we did when we were 6 and 9 years old.  But we had a lot of fun!
Unfortunately, Leah was not there but we gathered all the stuff she'd need and we plan to craft together in late September when Ben and Randy come to visit.

I will admit, it was a little odd making these.  My entire life I've had the "child" stocking of the Santa.  But now, I'm going to be a Mom (not anytime soon....don't go thinking that way) and Nick will be the Dad.  So I am making myself the doll stocking and Nick will get the soldier one.  It's actually really weird to think this way!....exciting but weird.
Ben opted for a different design Grandma had since he did not want the same as Randy (whom he assumed would want the soldier) so he opted for the really neat looking tree pattern Grandma had.
Leah also wanted the tree and would make the soldier for Kyle.
(I found this very odd that they'd stray from "tradition".  I thought for sure Leah would want the doll and Ben would take the soldier and give Randy the tree.)
Ben also drafted up some cute doggie stockings and we'll be making those for our pups as well!
Stocking crafting at Grandma's!


Getting everything cut out and ready to go for Nick's soldier!

Ben's tree in progress

Randy getting his soldier all cut out

The three patterns...for now!

We had an absolute blast!  Hanging out with Grandma is always fun but this was just so special because it was like our childhood all over again.  I'm pretty sure the only difference was the type of immaturity.  Now it's in the form of snickers and giggles over Grandma saying words she doesn't know are perverted and us saying "that's what she said" under our breath.  (And by us, I mean Ben and I, of course.  Randy scowls at our immaturity...which only makes us want to do it more!)

During this visit, we also found out that Grandma only crafted with us.  I thought this was something she did with all of the grandchildren but she said nope, just us.  She didn't really have a reason.  It made me feel rather special.  Especially because we did not live in St. Louis until about 1990 when I was six years old, Ben was nine, and Leah was just three.  Either way, I'm glad because I LOVE crafting!!!  And I sure do love my crazy Grandma!  She's the best!!!!

While there, we also made sure to write down the directions and make copies of the stencils so that we can replicate these for others if we want.  And we most definitely made sure to get the Santa directions and stencils so when we have kids, we can make their stockings =)

It was the perfect day spent with family.  Not just spending time together, but reminiscing about our childhood and recalling all those great memories.  I'm so grateful for the family I have, especially my Grandparents.  And so grateful we're all so sentimental!

[In September, when all our stockings are complete, I'll write an updated stocking post!]



post signature

1 comment:

  1. This is a really cute darn post. Those stockings are absolutely adorable too!!!

    ReplyDelete