Image Map

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Fourth of July Celebration

 Hey y'all!!!!!!!  Did you have a great Independence Day?  Because that girl above sure did!!!!

We didn't do anything grand or magical.  To me, this holiday is just about being with loved ones, grilling out, and watching fireworks.  That's what makes it grand and magical.

Nicholas and I spent the majority of the holiday just the two of us.  We grilled some burgers and had ourselves a nice little barbecue dinner, complete with beer of course (only me though, because Nick is a beer hater).

 And because no Fourth of July is complete without Bomb Pops!!!  Yes, yes I am a child and no, I have no shame.


After dinner, of course we had to take some photos.  Holidays don't pass without photos in my life.  Kudos to my patient husband, once again.  (The dogs were happy I forgot to buy something American-related for them because it means they got out of photo-taking.)
 



We then headed down to Jax Beach where we attempted to navigate the streets to park at a friend's house.  I have never seen so many beach cruisers!  They filled the streets.  There were hundreds of people and I'd say a good 75% of them were on beach cruisers!  Good thing we weren't in a hurry since no one moved for us and they weren't really pedaling, more so just, well, cruising, at a snails pace.

We finally parked and hung out with friends for a while before walking across the street to the beach.

We were told the beach would be packed but were happy to see that wasn't the case.  We found a spot, pulled out our chairs, and sat there enjoying the ocean breeze and each other's company.  This was our first Fourth of July on the beach and I think it's now become my favorite way to spend The 4th.  Seriously y'all, the beach is my happy place!!!!



The fireworks show was great and apparently, the thing to do here is have your own fireworks party after the city's show.  Following the Jacksonville Beach fireworks display, half the beach began setting off their own fireworks.  It made for a great {and long} walk down the beach back to our car.
For the first time, I didn't take photos during the fireworks.  I've made a promise to myself to be more present in life, especially with my husband.  TIme is precious and now that he's almost finished with the FRS, he'll be joining a fleet squadron and deployments are inevitable.  When he leaves, I want to know that thoroughly and intentionally enjoyed every second we had together.  So no phone.  No pictures.  We just held hands and watched the fireworks.  No distractions.  No social media.  Just us.  All night long :)
It was another perfect Fourth of July in the books for Mr. and Mrs. Obie :)


I hope you all had a great holiday!  How did you celebrate?


{Yes, I know I already posted today, but a large part of why I love this blog is because it's also my online "diary" where I get to document my life.  I love looking back throughout the years to see how we celebrated and look at the photos.  And well, because this is my blog and I do what I want!}

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time celebrating the 4th! We are hoping to go to the beach to watch the fireworks next year :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm...awesome!! And I totally love all your holiday photos - they always look great! And btw, I am ALL about popsicles too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the perfect day!! Bomb pops are so good, and a must. I can't believe that many people were out on bikes. Wow.

    ReplyDelete