Image Map

Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving Weekend Recap

Monday...ugh!
Monday after four days off for the holiday...there aren't enough ughs in the world. 

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and holiday weekend!!!
I'm here to give you a Thanksgiving weekend recap.  Because I know you haven't read enough of those!
This was our first Thanksgiving away from family. Every year since I've been married and moved away from home, we've been able to go home for the holidays. This year, however, we decided to stay in Florida. After traveling home for my sister's wedding at the beginning of November and going home for Christmas (plus a baby on the way), we decided to save our money and stay put. 
I'll admit, it did suck not seeing family and it was strange, but we gathered together with a few other friends that didn't travel for Thanksgiving and we had a blast!! We ate, (they drank), we played games, we napped, we laughed. It was perfect!
We did some of my family's normal Thanksgiving traditions, like watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade that morning while eating breakfast.  Let me also note that my husband, who very rarely drinks, poured himself a nice large glass of strawberry MOONSHINE to go with his pancakes!  Being with child, I had milk to accompany my M&M pancakes ;)

{We decided to snap this quick photo of our last Thanksgiving as a family of two! (Well, four if we don't want to hurt the fur babies feelings)}
The rest of the weekend was busy.  Friday we woke up and just lounged around the house. Somewhere around 12pm we decided we'd go check out the Black Friday sales. We went to the NEX (Navy Exchange, which is like a giant department store on base) and spent way too much time and possibly too much money. But we got Christmas gifts and some things we've been wanting for a while (ie. a Roomba. Yay!!) 
I'm sure it would have been a great day to snag some great deals on baby gear, but being only 14 weeks along, I haven't even begun thinking about, researching, or talking to others about what the heck a baby needs and likes. Thus we didn't pick up anything for little Baby Obie. 

Later that afternoon, we went to the Northeast Florida Mizzou Alumni Chapter's Tiger Watch Party to watch our boys beat Arkansas to win the SEC East title, which sends them to the SEC Championship for the second year in a row (and only their third in the SEC after all the haters said (and still say) that we can't hang with the big boys).

Saturday we decided to hit up the furniture store. We have a two story house with a loft right as you come up the stairs. That loft is empty (and by empty I mean no furniture but a few unpacked boxes...from moving in 14 months ago). We said that once we had a baby, we'd make the loft baby central. You know, all the toys and baby gadgets and gear and whatnot. It makes sense so we don't junk up our main living area and the nursery is upstairs too. Our plan is to add a television (and small entertainment center) and a couch. So off we went to find a couch. We were going to hold off until much closer to Baby Obie's due date, but when we saw the sales this weekend, we decided to go look. And I'm glad we did.  We saw a couch we loved at Ashley Furniture, but ended up buying it yesterday at the NEX because it was literally 56% of the cost of Ashley's and no tax. So we now have a couch on the way. It'll be the new couch for our main living room and the current couch will go upstairs in the loft. 

That night we headed back over to our friends house and played Donkey.  If you haven't ever played, find your nearest friend with a pool table, YouTube videos of how to play, and go play!  You will not regret it.  You can also make it a drinking game if you so desire (you have to drink between your turns).  I thought I'd pass out from exhaustion after seeing how winded everyone else was getting, but I was able to play!  While I still feel sleepy a lot and stairs still kick my ass, playing Donkey made me realize I'm slowly getting my energy back so I think I'm going to ease back into my workouts and runs!  I'm pretty stoked about that!
After Donkey had us pretty worn out and hot, we decided to transition to Settlers of Catan, a game I just learned this weekend and love!


And now here I am, on my way to work (well about to be). Yuck. I love long weekends but hate that I really had zero time to rest and relax this entire weekend. We were gone from our house for the majority of it. When we were home, we were sleeping or cooking. I just want a day to lay on my couch and do nothing. Or decorate for Christmas. That's my Thanksgiving weekend tradition and it didn't even happen :( I wish I could say it would happen this weekend, but it won't because I'll be out of town for work. I need life to slow down!!!

How was your Thanksgiving?  
Did you get to spend it with family?
What are some of your Thanksgiving traditions?
Or do you go completely untraditional when it comes to the meal and other things?
Did you brave the crowds for Black Friday?


7 comments:

  1. YAY! You got the Roomba... and double triple million YAY for that Mizzou win!!!!! It was so exciting to watch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds super fun and busy!! It was my very first Thanksgiving away from home since I moved to California in June. It was different, but luckily I have family out here which made it better. There was no way I was braving the crazy traffic for shopping. No deal is worth LA traffic!!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moonshine for breakfast, I approve! It's Thanksgiving after all. Picking out furniture is the fun part! I have never heard of that game before, will have to google it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that you guys take so many pics together! i always forget the camera :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. randomly came across your blog! my husband is also a pilot and we have a weim (even though i wanted a vizsla! ;o) congratulations on your big news! :o)

    ReplyDelete