Image Map

Monday, September 28, 2015

Prepare for Landing! - Our Family is Whole Again

After a couple of weeks without my better half, our family is whole again!!!


Nicholas was away on training for a while, and to be quite honest, it was rough.  This was our first separation with a child, but certainly not our last.  In fact, over the next 16-19 months, it will be happening more frequently.  I'm happy to have one separation under my belt, and happy that this first one wasn't a few months long.   Taking care of a baby with no family around to help is difficult.  Sure, I have friends but those without kids are working full time and unavailable to help and those with kids, well it seems they all have a toddler AND a baby around Jaxon's age (somehow everyone I worked with and everyone in Nick's squadron all had a baby within 2 months of each other) so it's a little difficult to find help.

But we survived!  I'd even say we thrived because Jaxon hit some milestones while Nick was gone (which is unfortunate but the truth is, Nick is probably going to miss a good majority of Jax's major milestones and firsts).  Despite his teething, four month sleep regression, fussiness from vaccines, complete change in routine, refusal to take more than 20 minute naps, and a growth spurt, we survived.  *I* survived.  I was able to suppress my anxiety and frustration to put a smile on my face and be the best mama I could.  And I think I did a great job!  I will admit I was beyond nervous and anxious for this separation, knowing help would be limited, if not nonexistent, but I did much better (mentally and emotionally) that I thought I would.  Which is good, because it's given me the confidence I'll need for these next separations.

But enough of that, let's get to the good stuff!!!!  Nick is home!!!!  Nick flew down to training on a C-130 but for his return, he got to fly the helo back.  I was pretty excited because this meant that Jaxon and I could go to base and watch him fly in.

We met a friend and her son on base, checked in at the squadron, and were taken to the hangar to await our husbands' return.  Once we saw them in the distance, we put our ear plugs in and watched them come in.

Nick is the helicopter on the left, closest to the camera.


Then they taxied over, shut down, and walked across the flight line to us.





Then we received a giant, smelly, sweaty hug!!!  And life was good!!


This was such an amazing experience.  I've seen Nick flying over our house a few times, but I've never witnessed him land the helicopter.  He truly loves what he does and I am thankful I got to see him in action, especially while welcoming him home after a couple weeks apart.  In the grand scheme of things, our separation wasn't long at all, but any time spent apart, especially with a baby, is not easy. We were happy to come home and resume life as a family.







5 comments:

  1. I am so glad he is home! Being separated for any amount of time is always hard but I cant imagine with a baby! Jaxon is getting so big and he looks so happy!!!

    Love Always,
    Elizabeth
    southernbeth.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad he's home! It sounds like you handled him being gone with grace and good humor, which is awesome. You are doing great, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww yay!!! thanks for being honest about how nervous and scared you were to have your first solo-parenting adventuring! big YAY for totally rocking it :) that's one of the things that i get nervous for about not having family around and my husband traveling a lot (though not for weeks or months on end - that would be extra tough). you gave me confidence that i could figure it out and even thrive when the day comes :)

    ReplyDelete