Image Map

Friday, October 12, 2012

Die Hard Cardinal Fans

What an amazing start to the weekend!!!!!

If you personally know Nick or I, or follow me on Facebook or Twitter, then you know my husband and I are huge die hard Cardinal fans.

Die hard misplaced Cardinal fans.  Being a military family, we have to support our boys and cheer for them from afar.  Alone.  No one in Florida cares about baseball.  Well, at least no one in the Pensacola area.

If you are even remotely interested in baseball, then you might remember how remarkable the Cardinals were in the 2011 season.  We were 10 games back, came back to get the Wildcard in the post season, then continued to win the NLDS, then the NLCS to go on to the World Series against the Rangers.
Game 6 was deemed as the best game in baseball.  We were down in the 9th inning, 2 outs, last strike.  And we came back to win the game and keep us in the race to send us to Game 7 where we won the World Series.  It was said last year, the Cardinals just don't quit.

And we've proved that again this year.

I've had a lot of non-Cardinal fans tell me when we lost Pujols after last season that our team would be nothing.  Just goes to show they do not know a thing about the Cardinals.  The Cardinals are a TEAM!  Pujols was out a lot of last season with an injury and we still did well.  We are not a team who rely on one player.  We knew without Pujols we'd still be a great team.  This season proved that.  Look where the Cardinals are.  Look where the Angels are.  'Nough said.

This year was the first year for a playoff game for the Wildcard spot in the postseason.  We went up against the Braves and won, landing us in the post season.  (Which was also another super exciting game!)

Then it was time for the NLDS against the Nationals.  It was their first season in the playoffs.  Being a very new team, they've finally managed to earn some respect.  They definitely provided to be a tough competition.

Nick and I were able to watch every single game, thank goodness.  Every game we were decked out in our Cardinals gear. (the exact same clothes, unwashed).  Then came Game 5 of the series....the last game.  The Nationals got a huge 6-0 lead early.  I quickly thought "They deserve the win.  The Cardinals clearly did not come here to win, let alone even play!"  But I never gave up hope we'd win.  At this point, I just knew we were NOT playing like the Cardinals I know and love.

But I forgot who I was talking about.  I forgot that the Cardinals are the team that just won't quit.

I decided to try to help the team out and I put on my rally cap.

We then started scoring some runs.  Nick put his on.  Beltran delivered with another run.

Then came the 9th inning.  We were tied 7-7.  Nick and I were not able to sit down.  We were on our feet, about to have a heart attack.  About to puke from nerves.  Screaming and yelling.  Jumping up and down.  Our hands beat red and in pain from so much clapping.  We had the sexy raspy voice thing going on from so much screaming.  Yadi was so confused as to why we kept chanting and yelling her name.  Vino didn't understand the excitement but wagged her tail along with the yelling.  We ended up scoring TWO runs with 2 outs, 2 strikes.  Un-be-lieveable.  We had done it again.  When everyone in that sold out stadium thought the game was over, the Cardinals for the second season in a row, have proved that we just don't give up.
Bottom of the 9th inning came.  We just had to hold on; keep them at 7 runs.  Nick and I were swaying and pacing with every pitch.  Yelling and high-fiving after every strike.  Every out.  And then....that final out!
I'm sure everyone was hearing the late Jack Buck screaming "Go crazy, folks!  GO CRAZY!"  ....and we sure did!  I'm sure our neighbors thought we were completely insane.  Had we lived in St. Louis, it wouldn't have been weird.  EVERYONE in St. Louis was screaming and yelling and fireworks were going off all over the city...at 11:30pm.  It's a baseball town and said to be the best fans in baseball.  I would have given ANYTHING to be home right then, celebrating with my city.  I was so jealous of the 100+ Facebook statuses and tweets I was reading about all the celebrating going on around St. Louis.

Instead, we decided to celebrate at home, "with" the Cardinals.

We watched the interviews, and while the Cardinals were getting their champagne ready in the locker room, we got ours ready.


We waited and toasted to the Cardinals.  When they popped their champagne and celebrated, we drank and celebrated with them =)
 Silly?  Maybe.  But I told you, we are die hard fans!!!!  If you are a sports fanatic, then you understand.


Now it's on to the NLCS to play the Giants...another team (and fans) I like and have a lot of respect for.  It will definitely be a great series considering they are also known this season for being a come from behind team.  But I'm fully confident we'll get ourselves to that World Series!!!!  And you better believe I am not washing my shirt and will be wearing it all series!!!  This is your warning to anyone that comes near me during baseball post season.  I do not promise to smell pleasant ;)

All I can say is 12 in '12 Baby!!!!  GO CARDS!!!!

I will leave you with two excerpts from journalist Bernie Miklasz's awesome article I read that perfectly describes these Cardinals.  These excerpts are some of the exact same things we've been hearing all across MLB Tonight, ESPN SportsCenter, etc.  It warms my little heart to know that others out there, all over the nation, not just St. Louis natives and Cardinal fans, recognize this great ball club.

"I don't think anything will ever top Game 6 of the 2011 World Series, but the fifth and deciding Game 5 of the NL division series was just as unlikely, just as insane, and easily scrambled the brain waves of ball fans from coast to coast.  Especially in St. Louis, the best baseball town in America.  A place where the fans and the team are one, united in their love of the game and their unique bond.  A place that never runs out of hope when it comes to the Birds on the Bat.  A place that knows that it's wise to never count the Cardinals out."

"St. Louis is a tough city that has the hardest, most determined, most resilient baseball team that you'll ever find.  There's simply no way to properly compliment the Cardinals on their competitive character, or the fullness of their hearts."




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment