Image Map

Monday, October 8, 2012

Sunrise: Moments, not Milestones

If you read my last post, you know I was up very late (I wrote my last post at 3am).
But at 5:30am this morning, my husband was waking me up.  I was a little out of it.  He told me he wanted to take me to 'our spot' to watch the sunrise and that I needed to get up and put some clothes on, if I was up for it.  (He said he knew I wasn't feeling well and had been in a lot of pain lately and that if I preferred to stay home, we could.)
Hell no!  I was not passing up a sweet moment with my husband.

We arrived at the park just as the dark sky was lightening.  Perfect timing.  We grabbed the blankets, bag, and small cooler and headed down to the beach.  Now that it's fall, the weather is a little chilly in the morning.  We were in hoodies and jeans but didn't end up needing the blankets.  (But my husband is a little baby and his hands get cold very easily so he brought gloves lol).
Nick brought my awesome wine glass and bottle holders I got on clearance this summer (all 3 of them for just $6!) that I've been dying to use as well as orange juice, and some champagne.
Once we were settled on the blanket, Nick poured us some mimosas, we toasted to us, and watched a gorgeous sunrise.  It was seriously a perfect morning.  There was not a soul in sight.  We had the beach to ourselves, as we always do.  We just lived in the gorgeous moment together.

I need these moments.  Laying in my best friend's arms, listening to the waves hitting the beach, the birds waking up, and watching the sunrise.  Something that happens every single day.  Something I truly take for granted.  It's moments like this when I think about how grateful I am for the beauty God has put in our lives.  It's these moments when I realize what really matters in life and what doesn't.  It's moments like this that make you realize you need to slow down.  I'm always worried about the next milestone...it was engagement, then marriage, nursing school, Nick's selection, our next move, when/if we'll have a baby, etc.  Always the big things.
Life isn't about milestones, it's about moments.  Moments like this.  Moments where it's just you and your best friend.  Smiling at one another.  Laughing.  Embracing.  Not doing anything, but just being.  The moments that aren't written down in your planner.  Moments you don't prepare for.  Moments that just happen.

We laid there and talked.  I don't even remember about what.  I just know there are few times I have ever been happier than I was in that moment.  It was times like then that I realize that Nick, our Love, our friendship, is all I need.  We can conquer anything with this.  Because no matter how much pain I'm in, what stressors we have in our life, they all disappear when we're together like this.
Is my marriage perfect?  Hell no!  Who's is??  But what matters is Nick and I are perfect for one another.  We have our own perfect, which consists of many imperfections.  But "perfect" is working through the imperfect.  Coming out on top, deeper in love and commitment. That's what we have.

There are times I get so down.  I want out of this lifestyle.  I want to move home and be near my family.  Near my friends.  In my beloved hometown.  But if we were living at home, we wouldn't get these moments.  We wouldn't be able to wake up and head to the beach to watch a sunrise.
I need to continue to look for these positives.  It's no surprise I do not love this lifestyle (I don't hate it, either).  But there are many, many positives to it if you're willing to find them.  I need to stop focusing on the homesickness and focus on the amazing life I've been given.  I'm getting to live an exciting and adventurous life with my best friend.  With a man who would go to the ends of the earth to put a smile on my face.  I'm lucky to be blessed with a husband who realizes this life isn't always easy for me.  He recognizes it and creates these moments for us.  So when times get tough, I know Nick will be there for me, trying to put a smile on my face.

I feel so incredibly blessed to have Nicholas in my life.  Not just as my husband but as my absolute best friend.  Lord knows I've given him many reasons to leave me.  But thankfully, he's stuck right by my side.  Looked past my faults.  Loved me in spite of them.  Accepted me for who I am.

Thank you for a wonderful morning, Nicholas.  You truly are a blessing from God.  I Love You!

And now, I'll leave you with some pictures of our gorgeous morning!
when we first arrived

This is odd but I'm in love with this tree!















Double Melanie!
Perfection!



sun back behind a cloud again






the sun has fully risen!




heading back up to the car

at the top by the car


We took a lot of pictures, so many amazing moments of the sunrise.  To check them out, click HERE!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment