Image Map

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Halloween Party


Nick and I came back early from Alabama (my mom didn't leave until Sunday night) on Saturday afternoon to attend our Halloween Party.

We left much later than we expected so I was running short on time to prepare something to take to eat. I didn't want to show up empty-handed so I headed over to the ever so wonderful Pinterest and searched my "Appetizers and Snacks" board.  I scrolled through looking for something that would be quick and easy to make.  About halfway down in my board I saw a picture of a dip with a caption that said "Quick and Easy Recipe".  BAM! Done deal!  We stopped at a store and I ran inside and grabbed the 6 ingredients.

When we got home, I whipped up the dip, threw it in the oven, did my makeup (I showered and did my hair in Alabama so don't go thinking I'm gross and dirty) and put on my costume.  I was completely shocked that Nick and I were able to make a dish for the party as well as get ready in just 45 minutes!

We went as BUDDY AND JOVIE!!!!!

If you know me at all, then you know I love the movie "Elf".  Love is actually an understatement.  I'm obsessed with it.  As are my siblings and cousins and many other family members.  It's a movie I find perfectly acceptable to watch any day of the year.  I don't think you need to wait for Christmas season.  That being said, "Elf" is the movie we watch while we Dickens kids decorate our parents Christmas tree on Thanksgiving weekend.  And then I watch it about once a week until Christmas rolls around.
Yep, that obsessed.  Anytime I hear someone say "10am" I then say "10am tomorrow!"  I quote the movie all the time..."That's ridiculous"  "You sit on a throne of lies"  "You don't smell like Santa.  You smell like beef and cheese."  "SANTAAAAA!" and so on.  Call me crazy but it really is a fantastic movie!!!!!

I saw a Buddy the Elf costume a few years ago and have wanted to go as Buddy and Jovie ever since then.
Nick was totally not on board with this idea.  He wanted me to dress as a slutty...anything.  I was not on board with that.  But I batted my eye lashes and said "pleeeeeasseeee".  Didn't work.  He isn't a sucker for that =/    So then I said "What if instead of green leggings under my skirt with elf shoes, I wear thigh highs or fish nets and heels?"  That sealed the deal.  TMI but that's Nick's weakness....thigh highs or fish nets.

I found Nick's costume for more than half off store price on eBay so I ordered it just 5 minutes after he agreed.  They sell a Jovie costume but this is what they sell:

I didn't want this costume.  Jovie only wears this at the VERY end of the movie for all of maybe one minute.  I wanted to go with the green and red Gimbel's employee elf uniform.  She wears that for a good portion of the movie, much longer than the one minute clip at the end in the pink and red dress.  Plus I could put that together for much less than I could buy the red and pink dress for.

Unfortunately, the green thigh highs or green fish nets were a no go.  Finding just a normal kelly green color in any form of hosiery was impossible.  From the end of September until a week before the party I searched everywhere.....all the stores in the area, Halloween stores online, lingerie stores online, costume places online, etc.  Nothing.  I bought white thigh highs with Rit fabric dye.  Fail.  They soaked in the dye bath for 3 hours and never got darker than a light green.  Then after rinsing they were aqua.  Fail!  Nick found some that looked promising....until the arrived and they were hunter green.  Seriously.  This is what arrived.

The striped ones were the only ones in that kelly green color.  They were the only ones that were close enough.  I didn't want striped.  Mainly because I had no white on my costume but at least they looked elf-ish.

So, the costume wasn't what Nick or I originally wanted but I loved it and was pleased with it!!!

We snapped a few quick pictures before leaving for the party




The party was a lot of fun and for my super quick dip, everyone loved it!!!!!  I'll post the recipe tomorrow.  There's really not much to say other than I had a GREAT time so I'll just post pictures.  That's what most people care about anyway.








I was super happy with our costumes and I cannot thank my husband enough for giving in to my obsession and going as Buddy.  He was less than thrilled with the idea so I truly appreciate it.
This was our first Halloween ever spent together and it was my first time going in couple's costumes!  I would say it was definitely the perfect and BEST first Halloween costume we could have ever had!!!  (I'm sure Nick would disagree lol).  But I sure was one happy elf!!!


I hope you all enjoy your Halloween festivities and if you have little ones, I'm jealous that you have adorable kids to dress them up and trick-or-treat.  If any of my friends here want some company with their little ones, I'd love to join and live vicariously through you ;)  (Yes, my baby fever is still in full throttle.)

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment