Image Map

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

Thanksgiving was....weird.  Good but weird.

It was small.  Very, very small.  No Nick.  No siblings.  No cousins.
It was just my Grandparents, my parents, one aunt and uncle, and me.  That's it.

My family is on a rotating schedule.  This year, they are all celebrating with their other side of the family.  (Next year, we'll all be together.)  Ben and Randy are with Randy's family.  Leah and Kyle stayed in Alabama and his family came down to celebrate with them.  Nick was with his family because their dinner conflicted with ours.

It was quiet.  And "appropriate" (as opposed to my family who is normally inappropriate).  Which made it very, very weird.

I decided to bring my dogs along since it would be a small and relaxing Thanksgiving.  BAD IDEA!  Yadi is crazy.   Not bad crazy.  Just energetic crazy.  But give her 5-10 minutes and she is calm the rest of the time we're with people.  It's just those first few minutes.

Oh, not on Thanksgiving!  She was an ass!  She lost the crazy excited energy, but she still had energy.  She refused to sit.  She refused to listen to me.  You'd think she didn't know what "stay" "leave it" or "down" meant.  She refused to NOT be in the kitchen, in the way of everyone cooking.  She refused to lay down while we were eating.  She was putting her snout on the table!!!  She NEVER does that!!!!!  She was just bad!!!  Yadi isn't a perfect dog but she's far from bad.  But you wouldn't have thought so on Thanksgiving!!!!  I wanted to beat her!!!!!  Thank goodness Vino is perfect otherwise I would have downed an entire bottle of wine.
Of course, after dinner, Yadi finally laid down.  When it was almost time to go.  Figures.

While the holiday was very odd, it was still good.  My Grandparents are not getting any younger and so it's always nice to spend as much time with them as possible.  It was obvious they were not their usual happy selves this holiday.  I don't know if it was the lack of family present or that my Aunt Dodie (whom passes recently) is still on their mind.  But they weren't as happy as they normally are.  Thank goodness the entire family will be together on Christmas Day.  Christmas is also a rotating schedule so this year, my family will be their other families on Christmas Eve and we get all Christmas Day together.  It's fair and less hectic and people aren't splitting the day.  Grandma is really excited and we're all staying into the evening, after the Christmas activiteis are had, to play games.  Grandma mentioned, (more than a few times) how she's really looking forward to Christmas and everyone being together again, and all the fun we'll have.  And I'm right there with her!
But none the less, I was happy I was able to spend this holiday with my Grandparents.  They are some of my favorite people in the world and they ARE my world.  While sitting at the table to pray and then eat, I couldn't help but be thankful that while my Grandparents are "old" (80+), they are alive and, for the most part, healthy.  That's what I was most thankful for this year.

I didn't really take many photos since it was just me as the only "kid" there.  I attempted photos with the dogs but getting BOTH of them to look at the same time is a hard task.  Or getting Vino to sit and not get antsy is a hard task (she always think she's in trouble and wants to go hide when we're yelling "watch me" and "stay" and "sit" at her lol).




Grandma and Vino

Yadi and Mom




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment