Image Map

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Nick's 28th Birthday


My husband has finally joined me in the wonderful (let's hope it's wonderful) age of 28.

He's not much for birthdays or celebrations but I am!!!  Last night, he just would not go to bed!  He finally got in bed at 1am, and was asleep by 1:30am.
Then I got to work.  I hung streamers all over and blew up balloons.  My goal was to blow up the entire bag but I hate blowing up one balloon, let alone 30+.  And at 2am and later at that.  So after 15 balloons, lots of dizziness, and almost an hour later I decided he was only going to get 28...his age.  It works out, right?  Even sounds like I originally planned it.
Then, on each balloon, I wrote something I loved about him as well.


(that's our bedroom door)

(view from our bedroom door)

And I made sure he had a birthday message waiting for him when he woke up.
(the "Good Luck" was in reference to a test he had that morning)

Nick had to work on his birthday but when he got home, he looked at all of his balloons.  (Somehow Yadi managed to leave them all alone).  But as soon as he read them all, he encouraged Yadi to go to town on them.  It was hilarious (and now we know what we'll be doing for her birthday in April). (video coming soon)

LOL this is the first balloon he picked up




Then we set out for dinner.




He chose to eat at Miller's Ale House and then we headed next door to Rooms to Go.  Nick and I had been planning for a very, very long time to get a new bedroom set and we were finally able to make it happen.  To be honest, Nick doesn't care at all about bedroom furniture.  He thinks its completely and utterly unnecessary.  {He's insane}.  However, he does think a 60"+ television is a necessity.  Somehow, I got him to agree that he will not upgrade our living room television (which isn't small.  It's a 42"  television), until we get new bedroom furniture.  He's really been itching to get his new television, so really, that was his motivation to say "Okay, we can afford the furniture now, so let's go get it."  It was a completely selfish motive.  He denies it but I am not stupid nor complaining!
So happy birthday to Nick, we (really I) got new furniture!!!  But the best part?  On top of the furniture being on sale, another President's Day special thrown in was a free 32" Samsung tv from Best Buy OR a $250 gift card.  So now he's $250 closer to his dumb, large, and completely unnecessary television.  So it did work out in his favor and is kind of a birthday gift for him, right???  It's just a distant gift.

We then went home, lit his birthday candles and he made a wish.  (I made him Rice Krispy Treats which are his favorite dessert.  He doesn't really care for cake, except angel food cake, which I made him for Valentine's Day.)
( I made them green.  Because, why not?!)


Such a goober

So many candles!!!  So bright!!!

Lots of smoke from this old man's "cake"!!

(please note the Weim photo-bomb.  She's staring up at the steamers hanging from the light.  Probably growling and about ready to bark at them.)


As for his gifts, one is being made and will take a few months to make (they're custom-made from wood when you order so it takes a while).  I ordered him a T-6B Texan II model with a customized base.
It will have his name, the dates he was in Primary, and in the middle will be the VT-3 Red Knights patch.
Such a great way to remember Primary, especially since he loved it so much.

He absolutely loved flying this plane and misses it so badly. (He pouts when he sees one flying). So I thought it'd be awesome to get him this model.  And he loves it!  (I also plan to get him the TH-57 which is what he's flying now in helo training.  And then obviously a model of the aircraft he'll fly in the fleet after he gets his wings.)  He's freakishly obsessed with all things aviation, especially his own career, so he really loves these gift ideas.
In addition, I bought him two new challenge coins (He has in excess of 20 already from various trainings, ships, milestones, squadrons, etc)
 one of the coins I got him:  NAS Whiting Field Challenge Coin

We ended the day with one of his favorite things...a movie.  We watched the first Die Hard movie, because I haven't seen any and he's been begging me to watch them.  He asked if we could watch it, and since it's his birthday, I finally agreed.


It was a fun evening and I'm glad we were able to celebrate.  Since Nick could be happy just sitting on the couch watching tv with nothing special going on, he very much so enjoyed his birthday.  And I did too.  Here's to making the age of 28 a great one for us both now!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment